Arlington Hotel Wiarton Ont.
The Arlington Hotel opened July 11, 1888. From the Postcards from the Bay website, “The Arlington was Wiarton's final grand hotel and as such, it was the largest, most modern and was classed among the finest in all of Canada. One could view sample rooms on the ground floor, along with the office, bar and dining room. Parlours were located on the second floor as well as single room accommodations and larger suites that included an attached bedroom.”
Below, the reverse of the card postally used Jun 8, [year indistinct]
Below, the AZO back which dates from 1908 to 1911
At the Wiarton Wharfs
The Thomas R. Scott was a 149’ long oak-hulled propellor driven 300 hp steam barge, built in 1887 in Grand Haven, MI by Duncan Robertson, for Thomas R. Scott. It was rebuilt at Marine City, MI, in the winter, 1897-1898, and sold to The Peninsula Tug and Towing Company of Wiarton on February 28, 1907. The ship foundered about four miles off Cabot Head, Georgian Bay, in sixty fathoms of water, on September 2, 1914, while carrying lumber from Cockburn Island, off the west tip of Manitoulin Island, to Owen Sound. The long lost wreck was discovered by Canadian Coast Guard divers in 1994. Adjacent to the Scott is the Crawford, an 86’ long steam-powered wood-hulled tug built in Wiarton in 1905. The ship was renamed the Thomas A. Tees in 1923 and taken out of service in 1940.
Below the reverse of the postcard, mailed from Oxenden July 24, 1912 to Hamilton. The writer will be moving to take a job in St. Catharines at 40¢/hr. “rain or shine”. The AZO back stampbox suggests the card was initially printed in 1905 to 1909. Given the ship was registered in Wiarton from 1907, the card was likely printed shortly after that.
In Wiarton Harbour
Showing both steamships described on the card above. Note the load of logs on the Thomas R. Scott.
Below, the reverse of the card with an AZO stamp box commonly used 1910 to 1930.
Old Bruce Shanty
This was the home of Robert Bruce in his later life. He died January 24, 1908, at 84 years old. While the photo was taken prior to that date, in at least 1907, the AZO stamp box on the reverse of the card, below, is normally associated with cards during the 1910 to 1930 period.
Bruce of Bruce’s Cave
From Grey Sauble Conservation’s web page on the Bruce’s Cave Conservation Area, just east of Oxenden, “Bruce’s Caves was named after a remittance man by the name of Robert Bruce that emigrated from Orkney Islands, Scotland during the outbreak of the Crimean War [note to reader—1853]. He was a very quiet man that never married.
When he first arrived in Canada, Robert settled in Keppel Township in the woods near the present town of Wiarton. In the early years he worked at railway construction in the summer, always returning to live in what in known as Bruce’s Caves. During the winter months, he would pay board to stay at the local jail. In the later years, Robert built a home and lived in it during the winter instead of living at the jail. Possessing about 300 acres of land, he had several thousand dollars in an Owen Sound bank.
Robert died January 24, 1908 at the age of 84 years old. In Robert’s shanty, they found a trunk with a fine blue broadcloth suit made by a Glasgow tailor, over fifty years ago. Robert was buried in this suit at the Oxenden Cemetery. The property was willed to a gentleman that was living on the farm at that time.”
View on Gleason River, Oxenden, Ont.
Below, the reverse of the card mailed July 8, 1914, to St. Mary’s, Ontario.
Berford Street, Wiarton, Ontario.—11
Below, a detail of the card showing Wiarton Dairy and the dairy delivery wagon
Dominion Fish Company’s Dock, Wiarton, Ont.
By 1900, The Dominion Fish Co. had its central packing plant in Wiarton where 120,000 pounds of fish were received each week, to be cleaned, frozen, packed and shipped.